22 December 2009

Refurbishing the interior


The interior was lined with peeling teak veneer, ugly vinyl wallpaper and a collapsing brown vinyl headliner. I removed all of these.



This was a long, drawn out job. The teak and vinyl had to be scraped off inch by inch and all the imperfections had to be filled. This took several days.






When I removed the coachliner I discovered that it had concealed most of the electrical wiring.


The next stage was re-routing and rewiring the entire boat. The advantage of this is that I now have a full understanding of her electrics.







The worst job, by far, was sanding the interior.
This took days, during which I lived in a cloud of fibreglass dust. Extremely itchy.


Once this was done, I faired the ceiling and sides and then spent the next few days sanding, priming and filling.






Finally, after three months of preparation, I applied the first coat of white Velvaglo. What a difference!

My dark, dismal boat changed into a light, bright airy space.

The look was further enhanced by having the cushions recovered in beige material.