21 December 2009

Mid-life crisis

Approaching retirement in a few years, I realised that an old age home is not for me.

I am young at heart and I have always loved adventure. I have done SCUBA diving, rock climbing, caving, skydiving, skateboarding, off-road driving, mountaineering and mountain rescue.

About a year ago I chanced upon a copy of SA Sailing Magazine and read an article about cruising by Peter Muzik. I realized immediately that this is what I want to do with my retirement.

I sold my house, bought the yacht "Umande" and completed a Skipper's Course. I now live aboard in the Hout Bay yacht Club marina.

The name "Umande" means "breeze from the sea" in Swahili.

I absolutely love my new lifestyle and can't wait for retirement so that I can sail around the world single-handed.